On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 20:47:08 +0100 (CET) Dave Andreoli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

> I think the best way is the simple API presented in the patch:
>
> EAPI const char* efreet_mime_default_application_get(const char *mime);
> EAPI void efreet_mime_default_application_set(const char *mime, const char
> *desktop);
>
> This api is so simple that I don't think is going to change in future.
>
> So the only problem ramain seems that this is not YET official FDO standard,
> and some people don't like to put it in efreet for this reason.
> IMO we can safetly place this in efreet with a note that say that is not
> official atm.

a few things with the patch though.

1.: oopsie in patch
+            snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "%sapplications/defaults.list", dir);
should be "%s/app...
2.: i see no api to list all mime + app to be used
3.: i see no way to just specify a command (as opposed to a .desktop file). this
changes part of efm so we need to write new .desktops for custom commands or
need to drop that feature. i'm actually in favor of .desktop only - but making
it easier in the ui to create new "custom command" .desktop files (that don't
show up in menus, but can be in a special category of their own and browsed,
deleted, edited and created like any other .desktop).
4. i see no way to delete an entry in the mime apps list from the api
5. i see no way to maintain a preference list - ie list the most recently used
or preferred app .desktops. example:

i install mplayer and prefer it to open .avi files - i tell efm once and it
saves this. so it keeps using it. now i uninstall mplayer - i'd like to to go
back to my previous app (let's say xine) for playing. so as such i think what
you want here is not a single entry but a list per file type - if we are to
make this generic for everyone to use, it'd better cover a very very very wide
range of uses. also entries should be marked as sticky or floating. sticky ==
the list order may change based on usage patterns (eg if i start running
mplayer much more than xine - maybe it auto-re-orders the list), and others may
be "dont care how much i use apps. ALWAYS open .avi with m player!". for
example. maybe for some you want to also limit list length (length of 1 is the
current simple 1 .desktop per mime type case and as there are no other entries
- it cant be re-ordered and fall back to previously used mime type handlers).

so as such - this api needs some work imho. the "standard not yet a standard"
imho is too simplistic and already will have usability problems (eg in the
uninstall case). admittedly in that case you could just pop up the "well app
doesnt exit - ask what app you want to use now" again, but it's not as nice as
maintaining a list of preferences.