On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 4:24 AM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
<barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> notification module is useful, I like it and will move to
> e/src/modules (that is: officially supported), but first I need to
> revamp it so I need input from other users of it.
>
> for those that do not use it: notification will receive dbus messages
> and show them as popups. these messages can be sent by any
> application, but usually is done by gnome/gtk applications using
> libnotify, however some qt applications are using it and the new
> ubuntu uses a subset of that spec to show their fancy popups. Current
> e/module implementation will also present a fancy (semi transparent)
> window if composite manager is in use.

I like the notification system, it is quite useful in some apps, so
it's great that E's implementation will be further improved.
Qt unfortunately has a own internal system for showing similar popups,
but hopefully that will change.

> if you use it: do you use the box/gadget feature? This is about half
> of the code, I never used it or found a use for it, when I tried it it
> seems broken. So I rather drop this instead of trying to fix. What do
> you think? Anyone strongly against it? If not I'll drop this feature,
> fix some bugs with popup positioning and move it to e/src/modules.

I tried the gadget some time ago and didn't find it useful at all.
However, I could imagine a gadget that stores notifications to make it
available as history in list form.
Would imho be a better use for a gadget (could also be possible to
disable notify-popups so they go directly in the history and can be
viewed later).
Also this allows it to have a fixed space in a shelf where it is
visible as a single gadget whether or not there are any notifications.

So I'd say: drop it and maybe create a useful replacement.