On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Brian Mattern<reph...@rephorm.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> I've attached a patch that implements a new edje part type: EXTERNAL.

rephorm, sorry taking so long to reply but I was quite busy the last
days. I hope you still have time to hack on it.

First, feedback on patch: rename 'double' to 'float'? I guess in
edje/embryo we call 'float', at least this is my impression.

Now after think about it and gather some requisites with friends, I
see that we should change the handling of parameters. The "edc" format
is fine, but the registry part should provide more information so we
can introspect and tools can provide more information to users, the
bonus point is that we can do validation for external objects.

External providers:
   If we use something like Eet_Data_Descriptors we could provide
digested and validated memory blob to users, just like
eet_data_read(). This would avoid everywhere to handle things with
edje_external_param_int_get() and like. We could even use
Eet_Data_Descriptors as is for that.

Editing tools (edje_editor):
   We could list all registered types and provide users with easy to
use extensions. Icons and parameter introspection come to mind:
      - Adding an icon is simple, I'd say Edje_External_Type could get
icon_get() and label_get() callbacks, just like e17 gadcons.
      - Parameter introspection: with name and type from
Eet_Data_Descriptor we can already present a rough UI, but if we
extend it more we can provide tooltips and possibly more, like
automatically checking enumerations. We can also use this to generate
documentation as HTML.

What do you think about it? My idea is to add these callbacks to
Edje_External_Type, using concepts and descriptions from eet, e_gadcon
and ecore_getopt. Aside from that, what would change is the add()
function would get an extra parameter "void *parsed_params"  This
could be even made "const void *parsed_params" so we do not need to
allocate/free memory after each call.

Thanks,

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri