On 09/03/09 11:04, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:50:32 -0500 Nick Hughart <mek...@mekius.net> said:
>
> > On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:16:52 -0400
> > Atton Jonathan <jonathan.at...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > new test made with liferea. I have drag and drop the icon from the
> > > window's border into the ibar. A new .desktop file has been created in
> > > ~/.local/sare/applications.
> > > Now I have 2 files!
> > > /usr/share/applications/liferea.desktop
> > > ~/.local/share/applications/liferea-bin.desktop
> > >
> > > Maybe the window was not "link" to a valid .desktop, that's why the
> > > ibar has created a new one. See, the both files name are different.
> > > The systeam file use the binarie "liferea" and the local use
> > > "liferea-bin".
> >
> > Yes, this is most likely why it did this.  There was no way for E to
> > match the original .desktop to the window as the exec doesn't match and
> > there is probably not StartupWMClass in the original .desktop.  E does
> > some tracking on apps if they've been started via the .desktop, but
> > this info is lost if you restart IIRC.
>
> unfortunately there isn't much to be done if e can't find a matching .desktop.
> of course this can be improved to it finds them more easily and keeps them
> (done already), but there are cases where it will fail. in these cases e is
> creating the .desktop for u from the wm_command as as far as it can figure out
> no .desktop file exists for this app. the only other choice is disabling that
> kind of feature entirely.

Should there maybe be a dialog asking if you want to select an existing
desktop file as basis?

> The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    ras...@rasterman.com

Dr. Jochen Schröder
Centre for Ultrahigh Bandwidth Devices for Optical Systems CUDOS
Institute for Photonics and Optical Science IPOS
School of Physics A28
The University of Sydney NSW 2006 Australia
Tel: +61 2 9036 9430 Fax: +61 2 9351 7726
Email: j.schroe...@physics.usyd.edu.au