On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:52:42 +0200 Marc Andre Tanner <m...@brain-dump.org> said:

> On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 01:14:45AM +1100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 15:47:25 +0200 "Michael 'Mickey' Lauer"
> > <mic...@vanille-media.de> said:
> >
> > > Raster, X may not be big our bloated, but would you please stop pretending
> > > you know all usecases people will ever have? There _are_ usecases for
> > > plain framebuffer.
> >
> > very very very few cases. even if all you want is 1 process fullscreen, x
> > will provide portable infrasturcture. if the reason is size, then it's a
> > pretty specious position considering how small x can really be (compared to
> > everything else).
>
> This should eventually become a graphical boot menu for Qi. So yes it
> basically is just one fullscreen process. Give me some numbers, how small can
> X really be? On my SHR Xfbdev/Xglamo without all libraries and data files are
> both about ~1MB which is pretty large given that my whole initramfs is about
> 4-5MB.

i've had a whole jffs2 image with kernel, glibc, busybox, xserver and xlibs in
about 4mb. (from memory the base fs was about 2mb or so without x). this is
from memory back in like 2002 or so on my ipaq 3660.

nb - if all it is is a bootloader... why all of efl? u know efl will suck in
quite a lot of deps on its own. sure - you can make it fancy, scaleable,
animated, have a full range of input (kbd, mouse/ts), but it will nicely bloat
up the image by a few mb on its own (if u account for dependencies - libz,
freetype, fontconfig, libjpeg etc. etc.). you can skip libpng if u have all
your image data in edje files. but still.. it's by no means small.

> > but hey! i don't see you coming to his rescue and giving him a fontconfig
> > setup. at least i suggested something that would work and get him fonts.
> > very x package install i have come across has also set up Sans for
> > fontconfig. it will do the job.
>
> I agree that X provides a kind of standard environment. But the most
> comfortable way is not always the best one. And moreover doing things in an
> non-standard way is fun.

up to you. but you'll probably need to research as to what the x packages set
up wrt fontconfig. eg install them and see what they do.