I am trying to install emotion. It requires VLC, gstreamer or Xine.

I have VLC already installed on Mac-OS-X and the "app" contains a
directory with all the working libs and headers.

I am trying something unusual: to use the libs in the MacOS-X
application to compile emotion. Not sure if this is possible.

I set
VLC_LIBS="-L/Applications/Video/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib $E_LIBS"
VLC_CFLAGS="-I/Applications/Video/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/include/vlc -
I/Applications/Video/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/include $E_CFLAGS"

To my surprise, the configure script in emotion was happy, and
configured everything to make.

Modules:

Make almost finished, but I have linker errors with undefined symbols
for VLC.

Problem is, there is no .pc file in the VLC "app", and there does not
appear to be a .a file either that I could use for -lvlc. All the libs
in the MacOS-X app are .dylib.

Would really prefer not to install duplicate VLC libs just to make
emotion.

I'm out of tricks. Any suggestions?