Raster,

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> i agree. though my take on it is that i'd prefer it to be done as part of the
>  src like this:

This was not done because I'd like to use the same .geneet files for
other languages: one input generates source for C, Python,
whatever-else-someone-needs. This is pretty similar to, for example,
Google's protobuf generators[1], and I like the approach of it being
language-agnostic, even though I understand your point of easily
keeping the structures in sync with the structures in the C source
file.

Adding non-encoded data is simple enough: a "noencode" keyword could
be added to variables to opt them out of being encoded in the eet file
(but still write the getters/setters/etc). In fact, this is already
implemented :)

[1] http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/

Cheers,
  Leandro