My tuppence worth:

Having the bar and buttons both fading to white at the top just makes
the whole top section lose definition, especially as the 'selected'
button does fully extend to the top. Similarly, I don't think there's
enough contrast between the buttons and the bar.

In both cases, I don't think a major change is needed - a small tweak to
darken the colours slightly would probably be enough.

The selected button looks cool, although as raster says the bottom edge
could do with a little definition.

Steve.