Hello.

On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 18:48, Lucas De Marchi wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Leif Middelschulte
> <leif.middelschu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That was very confusing and frustrating for me, when I started to work
> > on e_randr.
> > Events are not pushed. The only way e17 gets them right now is to
> > either restart e or switch to a terminal (or back).
> > Gnome, xrandr and KDE "poll" for events. As we already discussed, we
> > will also implement such a polling strategy.
>
> Polling here I don't think it's good. Did you consider giving a key
> combination or widget so user can tell: "hey, please... try now..."
> instead of polling in a timely manner?

It really depends on what you want in the end. Having a gadget in the
shelf which allows to start the screen configure dialog is good. This
obviously would allow to start polling the information once the user
hinted to start the configuration.

Something I personally would like to see _long-term_ would be a small
notification when a _unknown_ monitor is _attached_. This is only
possible with polling all the time. Two different scenarios.

For known and attached monitors I would go with the last saved
configuration for the monitor. If none is found, again small
notification.

Anyway, thats all long term and we need to sort out the basic issues
first. All material for incremental updates from a working version.
Intrusive notifications are also a personal pet idea. ;)

regards
Stefan Schmidt