Hello.

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 17:27, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
> wrote:
>
> > battery is ok i guess, though if u want it like that, maybe battery should
> > be
> > vertical so it uses less horizontal space? or battery gadget needs to
> > appropriately rotate battery (use different edje groups maybe) based on
> > shelf
> > size (if very thin then make it horizontal like now but fill the shelf
> > height)?
> > the default looks were all fitting into a square, so this is not coming out
> > too
> > well i think. what do people think?
>
> the reasoning behind horizontal battery is that it's on an horizontal
> shelf, so you have more empty space around it in vertical area, that
> is more constrained.  I can ask marina to draw new version (actually
> just the charging icon needs to keep unrotated), but IMO horizontal is
> visually better as it feels less cluttered.

It seems I'm one of the small group of people running a vertical
shelf. For the battery icon I care not much having it horizontal in a
vertical shelf is fine for me.

I noticed the clock gadget does not work with detorious and a vertical
shelf though. It does with the default theme. Not investigated yet. So
just as heads up.

> > i'm thinking maybe battery should be inset
> > like the inset look of the pager/ibar etc.
>
> I have a strong dislike for inset. It adds too much visual noise to
> the shelf, that is already usually small. Right now I'm okay with it
> just for the systray, because we need it for a solid background due
> xwindow reparenting.
>
> if you have a shelf without insets it looks way cleaner, see the
> attached screenshot. Even if you make all status (battery, connman,
> bluetooth, mixer) share the same inset box, you can see from ibar it's
> not as clean.

I mostly agree with avoiding inset. My problem with the current icon
set for mixer and connman in detorious is the to small contrast
between the icon colors and the shelf color. This is also a factor how
fast your eyes are getting tired. The battery icons are better but
they also have a bigger solid area which helps for the contrast.

For the effects and bling stuff. I think we should  concentrade on
soem effects and make them nice but disrupting the work in any way. In
my psychology courses we had some discussions about the balance
between the joy of work (nice effects) and being interupted by such
effects. It surely depends on your target audience. Like media
consumption vs. developer. Still having some nice effects is what
people like to get from e17. If they would not care other WM's like
awesome, ion3, or such wold help them to be even more focused.

So some nice effects, not overloaden and making sure they don't
interrupt the work flow. That would be my suggestions. Note that I
don't have any empirical data at hand to back this up and neither is
it likely that I will spent much time with working on the theme so
please take this only as suggestions. :)

regards
Stefan Schmidt