On 22/12/11 19:49, mh wrote:
> Leif,
>
> Following up on our irc session today: I deleted
> /opt/e17/lib/enlightenment/conf_randr and restarted e. Still had the black
> screen with gkrellm.
>
> Decided to try something else: I took  the 5770 video card out of the box and
> tried the onboard video, which is a Radeon HD 4200. Restarted e, and the
> display worked properly. Recompiled e to rev 66466, and it worked fine.
> Shutdown, the reinstalled the Radeon HD 5770 based video card and restarted,
> back to a black display with gkrellm still working.
>
> So, from there I went back to the vt and recompiled e from v. 66218 and
> restarted e. Display and system worked fine. So that's where I'm at right now.
>
> mike

Just a thought:
I have a ATi HD5670 and have a separate partition where I trial
different distros. Over last 6 weeks or so I've installed 5, maybe 6,
distros and, after installation and reboot, all bar 1 experienced a
blank screen when trying to start X. This is with different window
managers.

It seems to be something related to the way X runs without an
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Creating the xorg.conf file manually fixed the
problem.

Rob