Am Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:25:53 +0900 schrieb Carsten Haitzler (The
Rasterman):

> On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 22:02:18 +0100 Andreas Volz <li...@brachttal.net>
> said:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just installed Ubuntu Oneiric and tested Unity for some days only
> > to see if it has some nice features. It has some interesting
> > features, but is at all not configurable enough for my needs. How
> > ever, that's not topic of my email.
> >
> > My problem is that I've tested one of my elementary applications
> > (more specific elementaryxx) in Unity. I was shocked because it
> > looked really strange. I've done a real photo because screenshot
> > was not working:
> >
> > http://imagebin.org/index.php?mode=image&id=195126
> >
> > If I take a complete screenshot of my desktop with gimp nothing is
> > visible. If I take a screenshot of this single window the resulting
> > image looks like it should, except that window should be
> > transparent:
> >
> > http://imagebin.org/index.php?mode=image&id=195127
> >
> > Strange, not?
> >
> > If I set window without alpha support than it works in Unity.
> >
> > You could easily reproduce this by running elementary_test example
> > group "Window/Background" and "Window states" and press "Alpha On"
> > with Unity 3D active. The window moved to 0/0 position and looks as
> > on my photo. It still reacts to events as I could press the "Alpha
> > Off" button.
> >
> > While running E17 all works nice. Could anyone reproduce this with
> > Unity? I've a Nvidia GTS 450 card if this is relevant.
> >
> > Is this an elementary or Unity bug?
>
> almost 100% sure it's a unity bug. all elementary does is ask
> ecore-evas to make an alpha window. an alpha window is simply a
> window with an argb visual. this makes the MSB (upper byte) of your
> pixels be an alpha channel that is then used. that's all that's
> involved in making a window with an alpha channel. just make a window
> with an argb visual and then fill in window pixels appropriately
> (note gl engine on desktop gl(glx) doesn't work with alpha windows,
> but egl/gles works).

Ok, thanks for telling this. I'll see if there's a Gtk2/3 app with
alpha transparency and see if this works. I'm wondering if alpha isn't
working at all in Unity. Couldn't believe it!

regards
        Andreas

--
Technical Blog <http://andreasvolz.wordpress.com/>