2012/5/30 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <barbi...@profusion.mobi>:
> On Wednesday, May 30, 2012, Davide Andreoli wrote:

>> > Having both the get/set functions and a property for one functionality
>> > is confusing for new pythonic efl developers. We've already revamped
>> > much of the py-elm bindings breaking many existing applications in the
>> > process, this would be a good time to do more damage by simplifying
>> > the python api.
>>
>> I have 2 applications written in py, one is 10000 lines of py code...
>> do you want to rewrite ALL my apps for me ??  :P
>>
>> Really: You are proposing to remove 90% of the functions from
>> the bindings. I would say: no way.
>>
>> Also we discussed this long time ago and we choosed to ALWAYS
>> keep c "compatibility" in all the bindings
>>

>> > In the spirit of this, I'm also looking into replacing the py-elm
>> > callback_xxx_add/del functions with a single C api equivalent evas
>> > smart_callback_add/del("xxx"... function. This also means that we
>> > won't need to maintain the functions when signals are added or removed
>> > from C.
>>
>> We discussed this some years ago, we decided to keep all the cb functions
>> for the user, so you don't have to browse the docs to know what callbacks
>> are available for the widget.
>> I agree to add a generic func (smart_callback_add/del("xxx"...))
>> But I prefer to keep also the explicit ones for reference.
>>

>> > If we are ever going to push for a release and wider acceptance of the
>> > bindings, we need to make the py bindings api as simple as possible,
>> > as feature complete as possible, and as well documented as possible.
>> > Having them easier to maintain is a nice bonus too.
>>
>> In general I agree, BUT I don't want to break stuff more than necessary.
>> IMO removing stuff just to make maintaining easier is not a good approach.
>

> Agreed, and it should be easy to use... This will help by doing exceptions
> on wrong callbacks, setters/getters are used by properties anyway. I don't
> think it will buy us much to remove

To clarify:
Only the functions which are logically a property of the object and
have a single function argument would be replaced. Also there are
python reserved words like "file" which cannot be used for properties,
where the file_get/file_set functions should still be used.

It is not my intention to forcefully break everything. We (or
application developers) could provide C api compatibility with
wrappers:

class Video(elementary.Video):
    def remember_position_get(self):
        return self.remember_position

    def remember_position_set(self, remember):
        self.remember_position = remember

With the callbacks, what I didn't take into consideration at first are
the different conversion functions. In that light, the current
implementation of the cb functions is ideal so I no longer see any
need to change anything about them.

We should have a proper api reference documentation online just like
the C api has, and the usage of properties and other python features
should be concisely documented along with code examples.

Currently I can't get epydoc to parse py-elm docstrings properly, it
picks up only ObjectItem classes and doesn't show any errors. Does
anyone know if this can be fixed or if another documentation system
can be used?