2012/6/12 Davide Andreoli <d...@gurumeditation.it>:
> 2012/6/12 Tom Hacohen <tom.haco...@samsung.com>:
>> On 10/06/12 15:13, Kai Huuhko wrote:
>>> Heads up, expect the unexpected.
>>>
>>> I've started getting the bindings ready for Py3.
>>>
>>> I'm going to add two functions, fruni and touni (see below), which
>>> will handle string conversions. Any *_set method taking in strings
>>> will need to wrap the value(s) in fruni and the *_get methods
>>> returning char* wrap them in touni.
>>
>> I was under the impression that we already do that. Anyhow, just to make
>> sure, you mean to do that internally in our implementations and not let
>> the users of the API do it, right?
>
> yes, sure. Kuuko is updating all the internal api right now. No change
> for the users
> davemds

I didn't press reply to all so my mail went only to Tom this morning,
so here it is for the list too, answering Tom's questions:

That's right and no there were no conversions in place for python
unicode strings. I did end up naming them with a leading underscore to
note that they should be used internally only. Also to handle const
types there are two more functions; all in total they are:

_touni: convert char* to python unicode
_ctouni: convert const_char_ptr to python unicode
_fruni: convert python unicode to char*
_cfruni: convert python unicode to const_char_ptr

You can find their implementation near the top of the .pyx files.