On 26/07/12 10:53, Daniel Juyung Seo wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Tom Hacohen <tom.haco...@samsung.com> wrote:
>> On 26/07/12 08:29, Bluezery wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> This patch make genlist free their text parts when each item is unrealized.
>>> Before this patch, the item is just cached when an item is unrealized
>>> and the text part is freed and set by other text when the cached item
>>> is realized.
>>> This improves scrolling performance with very long text because this
>>> can reduce needless edje size recalculation time.
>>>    Please review this patch.
>>>

>> Maybe I got this wrong, but it sounds like an odd fix.
>> Either we should just not recalc the size of cached items, and this way will
>> reduce the
>> calculations, or we need it,
> Genlist can't make edje_object not recalc itself when unswallowing contents.
>
>> and then we should use it, and not ignore it by setting it to NULL.
> Texts are not needed any more because they will be overwritten.
>
> When genlist unswallow content object, edje does recalc itself. And
> when there are long text in TEXT parts, recalc takes much time. So
> this is what genlist can do best for the performance. We also need to
> enhance TEXT part calculation performance for long texts but this is
> another issue.
>
> Genlist now just resets the text and unswallow content objects to
> reduce recalc time.
> Any idea?

Wouldn't setting the texts to NULL cause it to recalc anyway? So you'll
be saving one item, but just 1. I just don't understand why we recalc
things that are not used anymore. I mean, genlist, IIRC is a scroller
with a box inside it, and the box is populated with items, right?

Are you saying we have items everywhere and we keep them inside the box
regardless? (I don't remember). Maybe we need an edje_object_freeze
function to prevent recalcs from happening or something like that,
instead of these specific hacks, don't you think?

--
Tom.

--
Tom.