On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 19:51:14 -0200
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
> <r...@1407.org> wrote:
> > And in addition, looking at the sed expression, I'd say it should be
> > fixed to use normal AC_OUTPUT substitutions, as it seems that's
> > about all the sed is doing:
> >
> > $(SED) -e
> > 's/[@]VMAJ[@]/$(VMAJ)/g;s/[@]VMIN[@]/$(VMIN)/g;s/[@]HAVE_ECORE_X_BACKEND[@]/$(HAVE_ECORE_X_BACKEND)/g'
> > $< > $@
>
> Did you read what I wrote? AC_OUTPUT is done before you choose the
> engine (--with-x11), you need something at build time, AFTER you did
> the ./configure --with-x11.

Hi,

1. Builds from released tar balls fail because the file is not properly
included

2. The --with-x11 is minimally relevant and AC_OUTPUT creating such a
file isn't really a problem in the rare cases where you use the
autotools build method and don't have X11

> What are you doing to make it fail? Do you do out-of-tree builds
> (separate builddir?) Maybe that's the reason? Anything specific?

make dist
then build from "release" tar ball. Something I always do for all
packages, and frequently hit build issues (which ends up being a nice
test for the official releases).

> All in all just revert your commit before it hurt other people (as
> file will exist without proper contents)

I prefer a proper fix, and volunteer to convert to a proper AC_OUTPUT
result, as IMHO the cases where it would be needlessly created aren't
very frequent and it's a minor spurious generation.

Rui