Using rebase simplifies the history, no doubt about that. And for a
project where you have multiple people with push access it may be
easier for everyone. And if you are used to SVN this is probably
easier as well. ;)

However, the benefit of using merge to integrate topic branches is
that you can tell which commits make up a change. At the company I
work for we even require that all topic branches are merged using
--no-ff, i.e., there will be an explicit merge even if a fast forward
merge would have been possible. That way, if a change (which can be
made up of multiple commits) needs to be reverted, we can easily see
which commits are involved.

Another situation where merging topic branches is more beneficial is
if you have to maintain multiple versions of your code at the same
time. This is typically done using multiple target branches (master
being one of them). If you use rebasing you would have to duplicate
your changes for each target branch. Using merge, as long as the
topic branch was branched off from a point prior to the starting
point of each target branch, you can just merge the topic branch
into each target branch where it is appropriate.

//Peter