On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Rafael Antognolli <antogno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Jason Gerecke <killert...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm a developer for the linuxwacom project. For the past few weeks
>> I've been reading up on Tizen, which is a new Linux-based OS for
>> mobile devices. Since its quite similar to other Linux distributions,
>> I've been trying to figure out how to get pen data up to apps. Tizen
>> apps are written in HTML5, which is being extended to support pen
>> events[1]. With Webkit shaping up to provide apps access to this
>> API[2], the only remaining layer I'm not sure about is the EFL glue
>> that binds X and Webkit together.
>>
>> I'm wondering what it would take to get e.g. pen pressure flowing up
>> through EFL to appplications. I've taken a quick look through the API
>> and underlying code, and while there doesn't appear to be explicit pen
>> support there appears to be some foundation that could be built on
>> (e.g. "multi" events look very interesting, though appear to be
>> semantically intended for multitouch not pen).
>
> Indeed, multi events seem to already provide the needed "pen data". Do
> you need any data that is not already provided from the multi events?
> Can you be more specific?

There's quite a bit of information available, so its a matter of
figuring out what is needed and what makes sense.The analog pen/puck
axes basically boil down to: X, Y, pressure, x-tilt, y-tilt,
z-rotation, and absolute-fingerwheel ("distance" may also become
available with Wayland). The "pad" device has some additional controls
("touchstrips" and "touchrings") whose values we also report. Beyond
this, the X driver also exposes some other digital information (e.g.
tool serial and model ID) through device properties.

If its OK to extend the multi event, sensible additions might be
tilt-azimuth (tilt-altitude already exists as "angle"), rotation, and
fingerwheel data. Interpreting the other analog axes is usually left
to the driver (e.g. touchstrips and touchrings are usually configured
to emulate a mouse scroll or press a keyboard shortcut to
increase/decrease brush size), and I'm not sure if it makes sense to
relay the digital information inside the multi event.

> I know that some data, although there are attributes available from
> the events structure, might have not been implemented, like pressure,
> angle and radius. But the infra is there.

I had noticed this. It looks like the multi pressure and angle fields
only need to be initialized in the XCB and/or xlib backends.

>> Is there any interest in providing EFL applications with pen data?
>> More importantly, is there anyone willing to help a newbie to the
>> project like myself?
>
> If you are providing something new, I think it's a good idea. But
> would be nice to look carefully if we don't provide the means to work
> with the said pen data already. Send your proposals to the list and
> people will give it thoughts.
>
> BTW, take a look at the multi-touch example, it might be helpful and
> you could improve it if you want:
> https://git.enlightenment.org/core/efl.git/tree/src/examples/evas/evas-multi-touch.c

Thanks -- I'll be sure take a look at that example. I had some
difficulty banging out a multitouch EFL app, so it'll be good to
compare :D

Jason
---
you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
(That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
But you can’t take seven from three,    /
So you look at the sixty-fours....