At Mon, 9 Dec 2013 15:09:44 -0200 Enlightenment developer list
<enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Tom Hacohen <tom.haco...@samsung.com> wrote:
> > On 09/12/13 16:53, Eoff, Ullysses A wrote:
> >> The ELM docs don't explain the concept... nor does a Google search AFAICT.
> >>  So what is it?
> >>
> >> Currently, setting a window as withdrawn appears to just hide it (i.e.
> >> elm_win_withdrawn_set(..., EINA_TRUE))... so what's the point, why not use
> >> evas_object_hide(...) instead?
> >>
> >> Next, if we call evas_object_show(...) on  a withdrawn window, should it
> >> be unwithdrawn too?  This is how it works right now on X11 engine, but is
> >> that correct?  Or should you be required to call
> >> elm_win_withdrawn_set(..., EINA_FALSE)?
> >>
> >> Essentially, I'm asking because I want to make sure it's consistent (which
> >> it's not) and correct across engines (e.g. X11 vs. Wayland), or should it
> >> be?  As Tom basically stated on IRC, this probably shouldn't even be logic
> >> that is specific to any engine, rather it's a general thing.
> >>
> >> Finally, the clear definition of a withdrawn window should be added to the
> >> docs.
> >
> > As I said on IRC, if I remember correctly withdrawn is the super-hidden.
> > That is hidden + it's safe to release some resources as it'll be hidden
> > for a while/we need the resources.
> > That's just from the top of my head, I guess raster might be able to
> > remember.
>
> OK, your answer seems aligned to Mike's one.
>
> So, another question: when we iconify a window, it should still appear
> in the "toplevel" list of windows, e.g. for ALT+Tab. Does the same
> happen when we hide/withdrawn a window?
>
> Would be good to have a clear difference between iconify, withdrawn and hide.

Not sure what 'hide' is exactly, but iconify and withdrawn define two states:

iconified: window is not visible, but an icon is visible as a 'place holder'.
Some (old school?) window managers place the icon on the desktop itself, but
most window managers now put the icon in an icon box, icon manager, or a task
manager.  The user can click on the icon to make the window visible again.

withdrawn: the window is not visible, and there is no UI indication that it
even exists.  The application must do something to make the window visible.
This might be in response to some user action or for some other reason, like a
background task completing or some other event happening.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / hel...@deepsoft.com