On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:03:48 +0900
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 20:39:41 -0500 Michael Blumenkrantz
> <michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com> said:
>
> > On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:32:26 +0900
> > Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> > > eh? how does it guarantee it will leak? a client free frees the comp_data
> > > -
> > > you'd otherwise have to never free a client to never free the comp data
> > > set
> > > ON the client itself. so yes - it's a leak if clients are never freed...
> > > whic is a leak in and of itself.
> > >
> > > simply - it's not a leak now. sure - it's not freed int he same domain
> > > where
> > > it's allocated - that is true, but the problem is that if that is left
> > > there it is ACCESSED in the same domain after being freed - the client is
> > > still attached to an object, but the comp data has been freed for the
> > > client. so the logical options are to enusre the objects are deleted at
> > > the
> > > point the comp data is freed OR defer the comp data free until the client
> > > is actually freed/cleaned up. i chose option 2 since it had no leaks and
> > > was the least amount of changes.
> > >

> > I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. The comp_data struct
> > itself
> > won't leak, but everything in it will leak since this is opaque. Freeing it
> > there is a poor workaround to fixing the underlying bug.
>
> look at the patch... everything inside of it is free/deleted in the same spot.
> just the struct ITSELF it deferred to be freed later. so we keep an empty
> "comp_data" struct. yeah - i should have nul/0'd out comp_data->damage as that
> is freed but still left as a valid resource ref. all of the rest of the
> deletion still happens in _e_comp_x_hook_client_del() EXCEPT the free of the
> comp_data struct itself. THAT is the only thing not freed there - and JUST
> that
> is deferred until client free so the comp_data ptr stays valid for as long as
> it
> is assumed to exist/be valid (i read all the code accessing it - all the code
> ASSUMES that if you have a client struct, comp_data is non-null and valid at
> all times).

Right, I understand what you're saying and what your patch does. It functions
as expected now, in X, and I'm not disputing that.

Given that comp_data is opaque, however, it's possible (and I have considered)
using other types of objects for this. If you were to call free() on something
like an Eina_Hash, you would leak data.