On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 16:59:33 +0100 Stanislav Baiduzhyi
<baiduzhyi.de...@gmail.com> said:

> I've noticed that fonts in EFL-based apps are not as good as in Qt
> apps, and digging into source it looks like LCD rendering is not
> supported, render mode is hardcoded to FT_RENDER_MODE_NORMAL. Is that
> intentional or just not yet implemented feature?

100% intended. there is no way we are doing that insanely bad sub-pixel rgb
stuff n efl. an explicit decision to not support it. why?

1. 3x the storage needed at least for fonts
2. slower rendering
3. adds colorization/swimming artifacts so it's not "better" just it gains some
percieved resolution and loses color fidelity in the process (eg you willfind
the outline of a char may swim between reddish and blueish as it goes down a
diagonal).
4. this requires metadata (the exact rgb pixel layout) that you can't always
accurately get and in the end needs to be manually provided
5. in additon this falls down horribly when the rgb layout is wrong for your
screen - eg if its a pentile amoled or its bgr, or gbr, or perhaps there are
not 3 ditinct rgb triplets side by side - maybe its vertical or a projector
where there literally are not side-by-side elements byt they layer on top in 3
display passes (r, g then b).
6. this totally falls over once you do transforms - eg you rotate an object 90
degrees  or any angle for that matter or stretch etc. - eg via proxies or map
as well as entire window or screen rotation where your rgb layout is basically
changing on the fly. you have to recompute all your font sub-rendering every
time for the full 90 degree rotations and anything else is basically undoable
so you have to turn it off.
7. historically such "hacks" have limited lifespans as display technology
keeps changing, i've lived through many such hacks across 8/6 and 32bit
machines over the decades. i've seen hacks come and go. thus code invested in
this even with the above issues will have a limited lifespan and add cost to
maintain.