On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 4:50 AM, Tom Hacohen <t...@osg.samsung.com> wrote:
> On 19/06/16 02:52, Carsten Haitzler wrote:

<snip>

>>> I 100% agree on this, we don't need to use promise for file_set! Using
>>> file set was just an example though for the life-cycle issue. The
>>> life-cycle is the problem I was addressing here, and I don't think it's
>>> solved in any way but my last example.
>>
>> i dislike making people have to del their promises when they can be taken
>> care
>> of by themselves. look at timeouts and jobs. they are promises now and if you
>> have to create a job that returns a promise... then have to del it
>> but it will later be called... that just looks WRONG. reading such code makes
>> it look broken. it'll be confusing to people to no end. having a single ref
>> and
>> that ref is unreffed after then/else is called will be just fine. only allow
>> single then and/or else cb to be set up. :)
>
> I suggested we do the same we do for proxies.
> p = file_set()
> p.then() // unrefs p
>
> While:
> p = eo_ref(file_set())
> p.then()
> p.then()
> p.then()
> eo_unref(p) is allowed and encouraged.

Which is basically my proposition added the promise_use for when you
want to be able to call cancel on it and enable also the possibility
to actually make promise optional. Also this way we can merge sync (In
the sense that any further request on the same object that require the
result of that said promise) and async API instead of doubling our
number of symbol as you did suggest in a previous post. Should I count
that as me agreeing on Tom proposal ? Sounds weird !
--
Cedric BAIL