so some thoughts:

1. wayland is client-side decoration land. let's not argue csd vs ssd (server
side decorations ala traditional x11). one way or another csd is where things
are going and there are good reasons for it being better in many ways. in the
spirit of csd we likely will do what gnome does and use csd on x11 too. it can
be done and thus makes wl themes/display and window layout and features the
same as x11. ultimately this can apply to windows and osx too.

2. given this direction we could be even more crazy and display like wayland by
keeping a set of pixmaps we render to and "sending" the pixmaps to the
compositor rather than doing the std x11 composite way. only for efl apps but
this should also fix bugs like junk content when you resize a window until
client catches up. this borrows wl's solution for this into x11. the sw engine
could switch easily. gl would need a little work, BUT with gl now we don't need
buffer age for partial rendering. hooray! this would also help us unify api's,
display paths and code paths between x11 and wayland too at this lower level.
yes - it needs compositor support which means we still need the alternate path
anyway... but this path could be more optimal... :)

3. xcb was a valiant effort, but it is not even 1:1 feature for feature up to
date with xlib. it's off by default because of this and we need xlib for gl
anyway. we cant dump xlib. it's just a lot of code in our tree that we likely
could remove to clear out some "cruft". not to say work on xcb has been bad.
it's been good. it's a very very large amount of useful code but it just has
never proven to be any real big gains and lack of full featured implementation
(it's 98% there) means it kind of isn't useful. so how about we drop it to
simplify?

thoughts? (#1 likely will happen anyway, #3 is easy and we lose nothing, #2 is
still in the process of being through out).