On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 01:50:21 -0200 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
<barbi...@gmail.com> said:

> On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 12:07 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 14:15:39 +0200 thomasg <tho...@gstaedtner.net> said:

> >> While any extra debugging info is nice, and I like that it can be
> >> controlled at runtime, I think it should be off by default.
> >
> > have you seen the log lines? its 100 chars of stuff long before the log
> > itself... does an extra integer or hex value like th:0x123 really make a
> > difference?
> >
> >> Log output that contains only really necessary information is much more
> >> readable, and most of the time, thread information will not be at all
> >> relevant nor useful.
> >>
> >> Logging isn't necessarily used for program debugging, it mainly is used for
> >> error reporting, which may be any number of errors, be it user or input
> >> errors.
> >> Threading information is exclusively useful for debugging, and I do think
> >> debugging should always be off by default and only activated when actually
> >> needed.
> >
> > actually it might be useful for user reporting. like thread 0x12 says A and
> > thread 0x54 says b. knowing this is useful for a report. the PID there
> > always and is in the same ballpark of usefulness.
>
> agreed, that's why it's nice to know if it was done in a thread or not.
>
> as for long lines, we already have separate vars that disable a big
> part of it... maybe offer an EINA_LOG_SHORTLINE=1 that disables them
> all?

that makes sense. making thread info optional but the rest all there by default
makes no sense to me. having a "short line" that maybe just reports filename
+line number would be useful (that's enough to track it down in most cases).
remove the full path from the file too- just the last file after the last / if
there are /'s. :)

and maybe a minimal which is just "ERR: xxx" where xxx is the log string
content and no file/line/process etc.

but thread info imho belongs together with pid and other such info anyway.:)