Hi,

I'd be in favour of Mesonbuild.

- It's main developer is very responsive and already provided modules
for qt and gnome, which both require certain facilities we do need too
(e.g. resource compilers).
- It uses a DSL that makes it *very* straight forward to use.
- It has a concept called "wrapping". It allows embedding so-called
"subprojects", which can be synonymous with dependencies
(https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/wiki/Wrap%20dependency%20system%20manual)
and be handy on non-package-centric OSes. Furthermore do they provide
a wrap-db (https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/wiki/Using%20the%20WrapDB)
so developers could simply reference the respective wrap (i.e. efl) as
a dependency.
- Generates Clang completion database

There's a guide for porting from Autotools
(https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/wiki/Porting-from-autotools).

Just my 2 cents,
cheers,

Leif

> Hey
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 3:30 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> So given that.. what do we do? Options:
>>
>>   * A shell script to replace configure + gen a Makefile.cfg & include from
>> our
>> Makefile(s)
>>   * CMake
>>   * KConfig
>>   * Scons
>>   * Waf
>>   * Meson
>>   * Ninja
>>   * Jam
>
> if  I would have to choose : gmake + hand-written Makefile's, because
> most people know shell and make rules. Building big projects is
> feasible: see ffmpeg.
>
> about benchmark of some build systems :
> http://retropaganda.info/~bohan/devel/wonderbuild/benchmarks/time.xml
That's interesting, thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, Mesonbuild is missing.