Hi Dave, Cedric,

On 31 May 2017 at 05:36, Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Davide Andreoli
> <d...@gurumeditation.it> wrote:
> >> I have a bit of a technical question here. You may want to skip this if
> >> you're not familiar with efl_part and efl_composite_attach.
> >>

> >> I'm currently working on T5315 also known as "Refactoring
> Edje/Elm_Layout".
> >> The goal is to provide a uniform, simple API for both edje and
> elm_layout
> >> objects.
> >>
> >> Yesterday I've worked on EO API for EXTERNAL parts. Those parts are
> similar
> >> to swallows except that they are filled in automatically with widgets
> such
> >> as "elm/button" or "elm/slider". As a consequence, each EXTERNAL will
> >> support a certain, unknown, set of APIs.
> >>
> >> There is a "param_set" API that allows setting specific parameters on
> those
> >> externals, such as "label" which is the text of a button. But those APIs
> >> (currently) don't cover all the APIs supported by a widget, and anyway
> are
> >> limited to int/bool/double/string values (eina_value in a more general
> >> case).
> >
> > IMO param_set should not be exposed in our public API, we already
> > have the api of the widget itself, I really cannot see why there should
> be
> > another different way to change a property of a widget...
> >
> > I think param_set is there just to be used internally by edje (and maybe
> > by the externals implementation) to let the param_set in edc files works.
>
> Actually that is a good point. param_set should be only used
> internally by edje itself, not exposed. I guess this also make your
> case for #2 a better solution.

Yes, this is a very good point. Why did I overlook this? I'll remove the
extra code and unnecessary complexity I've added.

As for #2 I believe it is quite necessary indeed. Despite all our efforts
to avoid exposing internal widgets, in this case I can't see how to work
around it :)

#3 could be seen as a convenience, I'm not sure we have to remove it unless
having 2 ways to do the same thing is too confusing or if composing hurts
performance too much (during creation of the efl_part handle).

Thanks again!

--
Jean-Philippe André