Hi,

Looking at the tests you point me at - selection (and the past) is a plain
text copy with the markup stripped - exactly what I would expect for
text_get - but the current content transformed with the helper will not get
you there - there is no built in interpretation of formatting - just
rendered understands it.

Overall the implementation feels wrong - supporting markup is great but
returning it inline in text_get feels like we are imposing internal choices
on other devs.

I note that the code considers format but only when interacting with files
- so I can have plain text files but not plain text input.

Lastly the documentation clearly discussed markup capability but it *never*
discusses encoding and there is no explicit mention that your text will be
transformed after text_set. If it were then it should be symmetrically
transformed back on text_get - path of least surprise.

I don't quite understand why we would build formatting in as mandatory,
functionality is great but it should be possible to turn it off.

I agree that people complain when markup is not supported in a widget but
that is the expectation we have set - consistency is very important indeed
and I think we don't have it in this regard.

Additionally I think the markup_to_utf8 methods are peculiarly named - they
do no character encoding so the usage of utf8 is probably incorrect...

Andrew

http://andywilliams.me
http://ajwillia.ms