I think this is the same thread I mentioned a PERL script from
muhri.net. It allows you to change background images WITHOUT restarting
Enlightenment. I scanned through the perl script quickly and he uses
eesh to do most, if not all, of the work. You can likely "borrow" some
of his code to possibly do what you're after.

It's here: http://muhri.net/nav.php3?node=tips

Just checked the e.pl file and he's got no copyright info, BSD licensing
info, GPL, etc, etc. I don't know what issues there are in a case like
this. I'm sure he would allow copying though.

Hall