On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 03:51:13 +0100 Hallvar Helleseth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

> This is actually one of the reasons I like DFB instead of just plain FB
> (apart from hardware accell) - DFB has has multi-app core. While you
> cannot run two evas apps on FB at the same time, this is very possible
> with DFB, and IMHO quite important. The evas app started from initrd
> never ever exists - which is quite nice actually!! just one single mode
> switch. However you need to run XDirectFB if you want to use your X
> apps. but that wont be a problem if your graphics card is supported
> (XDirectFB does hardware GLX aswell! seems to be a bit faster than X at
> it too! atleast with glxgears on a matrox g550. Although it needs some
> work, but its being done!)

the problem is for a LOT (probably most) people their hardware wont be
accelerated by dfb - so this isn't really an option. for boot ALL we need is 1
app in the fb (or dfb) and it can display until X can be run - then screen gets
mode switch. this will work for everyone. if dfb or fb are used on bootup can be
determined if dfb accelerates the card sufficiently. remember dfb also has lower
rendering quality than evas in the fb - significantly. i could come up with
demonstrations - bu

> Entrance would be a very nice app to be the controlling master DFB app.
> I've been experimenting a bit with that, but as I mentioned in a past
> email: entrance wont let me log in.. but hey, thats not important is
> it?  just as long as it looks nice! ;)

hehehe - well it was working for me until today... now it stopped working....
grrr. haven't had time to hunt it down :(

熊耳 - 車君 (数田)                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)