Peter Hyman wrote:
On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 11:56 +0200, Kim Woelders wrote:

I'll try this workaround. I wish it was documented. Did I miss it?

It is mentioned in README-0.16.8 :)

/Kim

Would somebody please hit me hard over the head! :) It's a terrific
feature and solves all my issues. Even though this works fine, have you
ever considered having an .e16/Autostart directory which could contain
any scripts to run in such cases? This would make e even more friendly
while still allowing the user to use eesh or edit the config file
manually.

In pseudo code, something like this on startup.

if exist .e16/Autostart then
  for all files in Autostart do
      if -x then execute it
  end
fi

and

if restarting e
if in restart and exist .e16/Restart
   for all files in Restart do
      if -x then execute it
  end
fi

Then, on shutdown

if exist .e16/Shutdown
   for all files in Shutdown do
      if -x then execute it
  end
fi

This is common practice for KDE and ROX which I know. Not a gnome
person, but I am sure it has it too.

Just my $0.02. Thanks for your effort and support.

I have considered doing this, but multiple display/screen setups would have to be handled in some way. e.g. by using .e16/Autostart-0.0/ etc., and I'm not sure that would make things much simpler in the end. It would also add some extra complexity to e16, and I think that complexity could just as well be implemented in some external script(s) doing what you suggest. Maybe providing a sample script would be useful?

/Kim