On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:10:25 -0500
Michael Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday, 03 November 2005, at 14:01:11 (-0600),
> Jesse Luehrs wrote:
>
> > It's smaller, less resource intensive,
>
> Neither of these is true.  Eterm's default theme is simply fancier.
> Try the "xterm" or "rxvt" theme sometime.

Those themes are smaller, but still not as small (according to ps at
least... however accurate that is).

> > and doesn't include a lot of the features that Eterm has that aren't
> > necessary.
>
> Most features can be compiled out, and even if they're not, the blocks
> of code for unused features are never even loaded into memory.  This
> is a fallacy.

I'm not just talking about code size here, but about what is available
by default as well (meaning what all I have to disable). I have no use
for the menu, or for the scrollbar (personally, I don't think they look
that great anyway), or background images, or anything like that, and to
get rid of them, I have to disable all of them. The xterm theme is the
closest to usable for me, but it's still not perfect, and configuring
it to be how I want it is far more effort than passing a few options to
aterm, whose defaults are far closer to what I want.

I'm not saying that Eterm is bad, because it really does seem like a
nice program with lots of cool features... it's just not what I am
looking for in a terminal emulator.

> > uses about half of the resources that Eterm does.
>
> That's what the aterm folks would like you to believe.  It's simply
> not true.

This is just my experience from looking at what my system reports their
ram usage as. I can see now that half is a bit of an overstatement,
with the proper theme, but it's still less as far as I can tell. Is
there any reason why this would be inaccurate?