What you could do is leave a desktop open for just that and when you
need it, scoot your mouse to the edge and go to it.  But the way I do it
is I set my maximization policy to EXPAND and it goes around the
modules, then I just leave my modules around 3 borders (top, and 2
sides) and gkrellm and I don't have to worry about it.  Then I just use
engage to switch apps.
Meh!