Doug McEachern wrote:

I agree. Though my experiences with Gentoo have been great following the first week of installing, compiling and configuring, I would have never made it past the first few failed attempts to get X started without being really stubborn and determined. Gentoo will not win many new converts.

The installation could use some friendlying-up, I admit, but once Gentoo is installed, it's certainly the way to go. That's what the LiveCDs are for. For example, when Unreal Tournament 2004 came out, Gentoo released a LiveCD that booted straight into X, with hardware detection goodness ( including hardware accelerated 3D ), that also had a number of games - Tuxracer, and of course the UT 2004. You could also use the LiveCD to install a Stage3 Gentoo system. Perhaps a Gentoo LiveCD with E17 and a Doom 3 demo is in order? If I had the time ( and an x86 box ), I'd do it :)

Dan

--
BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Spam:        http://entropy.homelinux.org/canit/b.php?c=s&i=21700&m=e02d0087ef3d