Landry, Marc-Andre wrote:
> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:34:42 -0400 "Landry, Marc-Andre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> babbled:

>>> I tried tracing it but ssh-agent don't bug... It just didn't propagate
>>> is value to enlightenment env vars if I put it in the startup sequence
>>> of enlightenment :
>>> ---
>>>  ~ $ ssh-agent
>>> SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-WDGQeG3680/agent.3680; export SSH_AUTH_SOCK;
>>> SSH_AGENT_PID=3681; export SSH_AGENT_PID;
>>> echo Agent pid 3681;
>>> ---
>>> my .order file for startup & resulting ps xf
>>> ---
>>>  ~ $ ps xf
>>>   PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
>>> 28528 ?        S      0:03 /usr/bin/enlightenment-0.17
>>> 28649 ?        Ss     0:00  \_ xscreensaver
>>> 28663 ?        Ss     0:00  \_ /bin/bash /usr/libexec/mozilla-launcher
>>> 28699 ?        Sl     0:03  |   \_
>>> /usr/lib/mozilla-thunderbird/thunderbird-bin
>>> 28668 ?        Ss     0:01  \_ gaim
>>> 28724 ?        S      0:00  |   \_ gaim
>>> 28725 ?        S      0:00  |   \_ gaim
>>> 28924 ?        Ss     0:00  \_ xterm -rv -bc
>>> 28926 pts/0    Ss     0:00      \_ bash
>>> 29021 pts/0    R+     0:00          \_ ps xf
>>> 28713 ?        S      0:00 /usr/libexec/gconfd-2 24
>>> 28681 ?        Ss     0:00 ssh-agent
>>> 28629 ?        S      0:00 dbus-launch --exit-with-session
>>> /usr/bin/enlightenmen
>>> 28628 ?        Ss     0:00 dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 8
>>> --print-address 6 --
>>>  ~ $ cat .e/e/applications/startup/.order
>>> xscreensaver.eap
>>> thunderbird.eap
>>> gaim.eap
>>> ssh-agent.eap
>>> ---
>>> In the ps xf output you could see that xscreensaver attach to PPID of
>>> e17 but not ssh-agent. Should I try to do not fork? And did somebody may
>>> explain me why I don't see his env value that it shall initialized?
>> of COURSE you don't see the ssh agent environment. ssh-agent is DESIGNED to
>> be
>> run LIKE this:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> # run ssh agent and take it's stdout and EVALUATE it - modifying the shell
>> # environment
>> eval `ssh-agent`
>> # run enlightenment - it now inherits the shell environment. anything
>> # enlightenment runs will also inherit this environment - which contains the
>> # ssh-agent environment variables
>> exec enlightenment
>>
>> The problem is ssh-agent is designed to modify a shell - e's environment
>> CANNOT
>> be modified by another program - NO process' environment can be modified by
>> another process. a child process inherits the environment of its parent. the
>> ONLY reason this works is ssh-agent is designed to print out shell commands
>> which as above you tell the shell to READ the stdout from ss-agent and then
>> interpret those commands - the shell changes its OWN environment. ssh-agent
>> never does.
>>

> This explain everything. Thank you.
>
>>> ---
>>> I tryed to add it to my .xsession but don't get it to work... even worse
>>> I break everything and e17 don't get to start.
>>>

> So I just have to add eval in .xsession... one day I will understand all
> the tricky part of the shell. I will have to redesing lot of my shell
> script at work, it will simplify the understanding.

It look like I have a shell trouble 'cause this .xsession script didn't
run as expected.

#!/bin/sh
eval 'ssh-agent'
eval 'dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session'
exec enlightenment

Nor SSH and DBus get propagetted to enlightenment. I will try to
understand this. Thank you all for your help.

LMA1980