On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:27:23 -0600
"Paul Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I installed E DR17 yesterday (with the help of Prof K's RPMS and
> advice) and was troubled that it was using 40-80% of the system CPU,
> even if the PC was sitting idle.  I started searching posts in this
> list and saw Raster's blog, which (2 years ago) showed that E with no
> modules was very fast and light.  But on my system, it was bloated and
> sometimes slow.
>
> What the hell?
>
> I removed modules one by one until the CPU usage dropped into the
> normal (less than 5% range) and, guess what (drum roll please):
>
> The battery module was the culprit!
>
> In this Dell D820 laptop, I have 2 batteries.  One is the usual, one
> is in the so-called "external bay" and it can be swapped for a CDROM.
> I should have realized E was having trouble with this because the
> battery monitor reported nutty values like 143% and it constantly told
> me my battery was almost out of power.  Removing the battery module
> solves the CPU problem. What a relief.
>
> I realized I can run "gnome-panel" or the KDE kicker on one side, and
> the E shelf on the other, and can use the battery monitor from those
> other programs.
>
> I did remove the second battery and try the battery module again, but
> it still showed high CPU usage.  So I don't know for sure what to
> conclude.  Perhaps the whole framework of the motherboard & chassis
> has it confused?
>
> If any developers want more information to investigate this, or you
> want me to file a formal bug report (in case this is not known
> already) I will do.
>
> pj

The configuration for the battery monitor was changed recently to
measure the update interval in ticks (not sure exactly what these are)
rather than in seconds as it was before. The value wasn't changed
though, so if your update interval used to be one second, it's now one
tick, which is ridiculously high. Try increasing the update interval in
the battery module config, that should fix the issue.

Jesse