I hit this problem recently, you need to set E_IPC_SOCKET

e.g.: export E_IPC_SOCKET=/tmp/enlightenmment-<username>/disp-:0.0-<pid>

Your shell should autocomplete it as you type if you're heavy on the Tab key
;-)

You can also "grep IPC ~/.xsession-errors" and you should be able to see
what to set it to.

cheers,

tweek

2009/3/28 Jackson <jack...@objectivelytrue.com>

> Hello,
> I'm having problems using enlightenment_remote from a virtual terminal.  If
> I issue the command enlightenment_remote from the vt prompt (not xterm,
> eterm, etc--they work fine), I get an error "The E_IPC_SOCKET environment
> variable is not set.  This is Exported by Enlightenment to all processes
> that it launches.  This environment variable must be set and must point to
> Enlightenment's IPC socket file (minus port number).  ERROR:
> Enlightenment_remote cannot set up the IPC socket.  Try setting DISPLAY=:0
> in your environment."
>
> Anyway, I tried adding the line "DISPLAY=:0" to /etc/environment (I'm using
> ubuntu) and restarting the vt, but I haven't had any success.  Any guesses
> on what else to try?  I need some way to restart e from a vt when it
> freezes.
>
> Thanks,
> Jxn
>
> --
> The right understanding of any matter and a misunderstanding of the same
> matter do not wholly exclude each other. -- Franz Kafka, "The Trial"

Andreas Martens
email / msn / googletalk: andr...@nodreams.com