Apparently, though unproven, at 01:29 on Thursday 10 February 2011, Carsten
Haitzler did opine thusly:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 00:26:11 +0200 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
said:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 14:28 on Wednesday 09 February 2011, P
> >
> > Purkayastha did opine thusly:

> > > Strange. My broken e17 + gentoo is somehow chugging along for a good
> > > 4th year now ;)
> > > /me starts looking for the broken pieces ...
> >
> > I don't mean it breaks Gentoo such that bits of EFL lie all over the
> > floor right away.
> >
> > Gentoo, by design, lets the user control what features are installed and
> > what is not installed via USE flags. This sets up dependencies.
> >
> > When a build script on Gentoo relies on automagic enabling of features,
> > only stuff that is already present is used. This is NOT up to some
> > distro packager, it is up to the user. There is no method to set up
> > optional dependencies so the usual route is to DEPEND on nothing and
> > rely on magic (or user vigilance) or DEPEND on everything which makes
> > the average Gentoo user freak out.
> >
> > emerge --depclean is then useless at helping remove unneeded deps later
> > on.
> >
> > But you know all this already right?
> >
> > Developers can by all means use automagic deps; I'm opposed to the
> > practice myself but I can't stop devs doing it. But also provide
> > explicit --enable/-- disable options in ./configure for source based
> > distros.
>
> gentoo allows users to configure the builds of their libs. this also allows
> them to shoot themselves in their feet and screw it up. eg disable a
> feature and then find that e17 needs it. and then the gentoo users come
> running here to us e devs complaining e is broken and how they should fix
> it. gentoo is broken already. it just foists work onto US developers as
> users do things they have not the slightest clue about. those swizzle
> knobs are for people who know what the hell they are enabling or disabling
> and what the consequences will be.
>
> this problem has gotten so bad that i'm becoming of the opinion that we
> should cease having any configuration you can change at compile time
> because it was never intended to be exposed to "users". but it is and its
> causing US trouble and US work because gentoo is going around doing just
> that. the result will be that people who want to change things for
> specific good reasons and know what they are doing now have to PATCH the
> build rather than just provide some --enable/disable flags.
>
> so to gentoo... STOP WITH THE USE FLAGS! JUST STOP! ENOUGH ALREADY!

Raster,

The fix for that is for ebuild maintainers to actually write ebuilds properly.
It's not a slap-dash-chuck-it-all-together-and-whoopee! task, just like your
job isn't like that. Example, the directfb stuff - that should be filtered out
in the platform profile. How many x86 boxen have directfb installed? Auto-
enable it in USE for an embedded system where it is appropriate.

I use vapier and barbieri's ebuilds. They are sane, never had a problem with
them since '07 or thereabouts.

The problem isn't gentoo, or portage. It's wankers publishing ebuilds without
having a clue first. Tell those wankers to shove right off by all means. Or
even put a big <blink><red> notice on the web site saying you don't support
gentoo, users need to talk to their ebuild maintainer.

Just please don't rip out the useful compile config options. I like them, I
rely on them, I'll be seriously pissed if you remove them because you got
pissed with some wankers who don't have much clue.

rant over :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com