I was thinking tonigh about this topic, and here are a couple thought I
would like to share

E is almost completelly focused to GUI and thanks to edje (if I remember
well), the EFL stuff can receive mouse events

Based on this, why don't we add 'graphical' things that control/show ACPI
events?
Examples:
* You want to manually start the fan? click on the fan icon (one that looks
static) and it will start spinning (or look like a spinning fan, to save
some resources)

* WIFI kill switch? we can draw a swtich (like the one in elementary
toolkit) or an antenna with 'waves' (or something cool enough) if the
antenna is on

What I mean is, moving from an 'all buttons' or 'all swithces' to an ACPI
graphical panel control.

I know that current EFL allow this kind of stuff. From what Raster said
before, E' core also allows this. All it would take is time (duh!)

2011/5/12 Michael Jennings <m...@kainx.org>

> On Thursday, 12 May 2011, at 09:03:16 (+0900),
> Carsten Haitzler wrote:
>
> > grandma :) could call it "hardware buttons". frankly.. i think that acpi
> is
> > abused/misused in so many ways by hw vendors. if its a button like a
> key.. it
> > should be a key. always. wired up to the kbd controller with a keycode.
> there
> > should be another CLASS of switch that is on/off - like lid open state,
> "flight
> > mode wifi switch" on some laptops is a sliding on/off switch that
> physically
> > retains its state (its not a soft-toggle). imho even the power and reset
> > buttons should be keys (just with a bonus hold power for 8secs+ and
> machine
> > hard powers down feature).
>
> How about "Hardware Controls?"  Just calling it "Buttons" is even
> worse than "ACPI," not because Grandma won't know what it means, but
> rather because Grandma won't know to which meaning of "Buttons" it
> refers.  It's too broad/general.  Mouse buttons?  Toolbar buttons?
> Menubar buttons?  Whatever interpretation comes to Grandma's mind
> first, it's unlikely to be "power buttons, Fn+Function keys, and lid
> closures." :-)
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <m...@kainx.org>
> Linux Server/Cluster Admin, LBL.gov       Author, Eterm (www.eterm.org)
>  "That's who I am.  I'm a positive person."  "No, *I'm* a positive
>  person.  *You* are like Santa Claus on Prozac...at Disneyland...
>  getting laid!"            -- Alec Baldwin and Lisa Kudrow, "Friends"

Wido