On 05/04/2013 17:33, Damien Radtke wrote:
> My hunch is that it's being caused by failing to unmount correctly. When I
> right-click on the flash drive and tell it to either Eject or Unmount,
> either a) nothing happens, or b) I get some weird unmount error. I don't
> remember the exact error message, but I can try it again later and report
> what it says.
>
> On a related note, am I supposed to Eject or Unmount the flash drive from
> my computer before pulling it out, or does it even matter?

It does matter, it matters a LOT.

The speed you can write to a flash drive is a lot slower than drives. A
video for instance can be several GB long, and that can take minutes to
fully copy over.

This has nothing to do with enlightenment or linux, it has to do with
how fast the stick can be written to.

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Gary <witsc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Damien Radtke <damienrad...@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Recently I was trying to copy a video over to another computer (running
>>> Windows, in case it makes any difference) by using my flash drive, but
>>> Enlightenment seems to not like flash drives very much. The first time I
>>> tried, the file appeared but had a size of 0 bytes. After a couple more
>>> attempts I managed to get the file onto the computer, but it crashed
>> about
>>> halfway through watching it. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the
>>> file to copy to the flash drive without running into some sort of
>>> corruption. I ultimately got around the problem by re-downloading the
>> video
>>> on the computer I was trying to transfer it to.
>>>
>>> This is with 64-bit openSUSE 12.3. I recently had GNOME installed but
>>> switched to Enlightenment, but I don't remember running into these sorts
>> of
>>> issues with GNOME.
>>>
>>> Anyone else run into anything similar, or know why this might be
>> happening?
>>>
>>> ~Damien
>>
>> I'm having similar issues with usb sticks when using efm. In my case
>> it looks like files are copied but when I eject the stick and insert
>> it into another computer it is empty. I really haven't done any
>> thorough testing and can't say that this happens 100% of the time. It
>> does happen though. I've also had this happen when using MC, so it
>> doesn't appear to be an E only thing. I usually end up using Nautilus
>> to do the copy, which usually works (again can't say it's 100%). My
>> system is Ubuntu 12.10, E 17.1.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I have no idea why this is happening. If I end up
>> finding anything I'll let you know.
>>
>> Gary

Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com