My locales are ok. That's for sure. As said in the first post, it all just
work system wide, in console, X, bluefish, openoffice, qtcreator, eclipse,
nano... to name just a few.

I've been using es_ES.UTF-8 since the day utf landed in Gentoo. locale.gen
contains that and the english locale, though I rarely use that, because i
use the C locale for bug reports.