On Tue, 20 May 2014 21:22:25 +0200
meine <trial...@gmx.com> wrote:

>maybe this is stuff that you already know, maybe you are new and
>wanted to know but were afraid to ask...
>
>on the Enlightenment desktop there are several shortcuts to your home
>directory, root and plugged in USB devices. you can also copy
>documents to the desktop by dragging them to the Desktop directory in
>the home folder.
>
>but what when you want a shortcut to another permanently mounted
>partition on your hard disk drive?
>
>a link to a file or directory on the desktop is a special
>'.desktop' [dot] file with application like features. it triggers a
>program to react and behave like specified. making such a link I found
>not documented for Enlightenment, but the LXDE way works well!
>
>to create a shortcut to a different volume -- usually mounted
>in /media/<partition_name>, you need to manually create a .desktop
>file in the ~/Desktop folder:
>
>[user@localhost ~]$ cat ~/Desktop/<preferred_shortcut_name>.desktop
>
>open this file with a text editor and enter all lines below where you
>fill in the parts between < >:
>
>[Desktop Entry]
>Encoding=UTF-8
>Type=Application
>Icon=system-file-manager
>Name=<preferred_shortcut_name>
>Exec=enlightenment_filemanager /media/<name_of_different_mountvolume>
>
>the string is asking the Enlightenment file manager to open the given
>folder. stay with the default application icon or choose one different.
>
>then set the file proprties in the file manager by right-clicking the
>made .desktop file and choose settings/properties:
>
>user: read, write, execute
>group: read, execute
>others: read, execute
>
>Once saved you can only change this file by temporarily unchecking the
>execute properties. Don't forget to put these back to have your
>desktop shortcut in working order back again.

You can also simply do this:

$ cd ~/Desktop
$ ln -s /place/you/mounted/volume/ myvol

Now, 'myvol' is a link on your desktop.

--
Regards,
Christopher Barry

Random geeky fortune:
We will have solar energy as soon as the utility companies solve one
technical problem -- how to run a sunbeam through a meter.