On Sun, 3 Aug 2014 15:54:36 -0700 Marc MERLIN <marc_...@merlins.org> said:

> (moving this back to the list)
>
> Raster, is it possible that your patch breaks Multi except in e and
> terminology?
> Since I upgraded to the newer e18, Multi doesn't work anywhere except in efl
> apps it seems (see below)

multi key compose? no - it works. i use it regularly. as i said - i spent a lot
of time looking at this. the modifier masks for alt and altgr clash. they are
indistinguishable from a client point of view. it's a misconfiguration of the
modifier masks.

> On Sat, Aug 02, 2014 at 06:55:32PM -0400, John Holland wrote:
> > In some kind of terminal, run xev. Put the mouse cursor in the xev
> > window. Type The Altgr By Itself And In The Terminal YOU Should Get
> > Output That Gives YOU The keycode. I am just using right-alt, maybe
> > altgr is a different code. Pardon my capitalization I'm typing this on
> > a phone. Adjust X mod map statement accordingly. I am actually very
> > naive about xmodmap, was just learning about it this morning. Forgive
> > me if I'm telling you things that you already know.
>
> I kind of did, but it never hurts to check :)
> (also I learned that stuff some 18 years ago, so maybe some if it
> changed since then)
>
> This is what my right alt gives with xev
> KeyPress event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x7400001,
>     root 0xb2, subw 0x0, time 358231354, (27,120), root:(716,1557),
>     state 0x0, keycode 108 (keysym 0xff7e, Mode_switch), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XFilterEvent returns: False
>
> KeyRelease event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x7400001,
>     root 0xb2, subw 0x0, time 358231424, (27,120), root:(716,1557),
>     state 0x2000, keycode 108 (keysym 0xffe8, Meta_R), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XFilterEvent returns: False
>
> This is very spooky, I get Mode_switch on press and Meta_R on release.
> Whoa, how does that make sense?

it doesn't. it looks very silly from an event point of view. a release for a
key never pressed. the mode_switch could be thought of as a "whatever i press
next is modified by this" unless its meant to work by holding altgr down then
press several keys and it works. i don't know. but it'd have to be manually
handled.

> Just curious, do you get this when you launch terminology?
> ERR<24256>:ecore_x lib/ecore_x/xlib/ecore_x.c:301 _ecore_x_modifiers_get()
> ALTGR conflicts with other modifiers. IGNORE ALTGR
>
> I see this even when when I have 108 set to ALT_R and not Multi.

err what do you mean by "multi"? there is an actual multi key. this is how you
do compose sequences. ie:

multi, e, ` == è
multi, e, ' == é

(ie press those 3 keys in a row). i enable capslock to be multi in my keyboard
settings in e.

you get the above as per all my comments in the phab bug. i am repeating myself
now endlessly. go read it. i explained it in detail. they way you have your
keyboard working alt and altgr as modifiers conflict. they produce the SAME
modifier mask. exactly the same. modifier state is a bitmask - with a bit on
for the modifier. e dumps altgr if it conflicts with alt as it is not a
separate modifier at all then, and that is what causes the problem with
bindings as e can now not tell if its alt or altgr pressed, so it assumes both
as they both match - otherwise it has to randomly guess which and that's worse.

> Raster, is that normal?

it is EXACTLY the code i wrote to detect your broken modifier mask setup and
veto altgr in it. as i keep saying - change the modifier mask bits for altgr to
not conflict. i have never had to fix up such brokenness. btw -0 in xterm with
your xmodmap i hit right alt + e - i get a normal e. same in gedit. so really
your:

xmodmap -e "keycode 108 = Mode_switch Alt_R Meta_R Alt_R Meta_R"

doesn't even do anything for me in 2 apps as non-efl toolkit apps. so i don't
even know what it's meant to do/make work... but it does nothing for other
toolkits, and nothing for terminology or efl too. all it results in is a broken
modifier mask mappping that i know have added code to work around.