Yeah, us gentoo folk do tend to fiddle with things quite a bit. :-)

everything is back to happy now, with efll at 1.11.2, elemtentary at 1.11.2
and e at 0.18.8.

Terminology did seem to have a bizarre permission issue (only root logins)
so I'll have to spin up a vm and maybe play with that. thankfully, the
memory getting chewed up like crazy, at least it's on a SSD so it only
pegged for about 15 seconds. it happened on another machine of mine with
spinning disks and locked the poor thing up for a solid 15 minutes.