On 02/04/2015 12:40 AM, Conrad Hill-Knight wrote:
>> From: Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie>
>> This is a very common occurrence in all Linux interfaces I have used. I
>> *believe* it's because the loading of entry names, icons, paths, etc is
>> done at the time your cursor hovers on the menu (aka "in real time",
>> "just-in-time", etc), and it take a lot of cycles to retrieve and
>> present the data.
>
> But how long should that realistically take? The stall happens on each
> sub-menu in turn, so if this is what's happening, it can't be loading
> more than about 20 entries to display.

On the D810, where I am now, if I click on the desktop and hover on
Applications >> Accessories, it takes 2sec to load the list.

If I then slide down from Accessories to Other, (a) it halts on the way
because it is momentarily trying to load each menu it passes over, and
eventually clogs up at Office, so my cursor is over Other while it loads
and then discards Office, and finally moves onto loading Other. Total
time taken from the start to get the Other list up is 5sec.

> While not all that modern, my every-day use laptop has 8 cores

"What's a core, Mommy?" :-) I just have a single CPU on this machine,
and 2Gb memory, running Xubuntu 14.04 and e17. Apart from the odd
slowdown like this, it's fine.

> (fastest currently shows 3160 MHz) and some 8GB of memory. If that's
> not enough to handle something as simple as a user interface, there
> must be something wrong somewhere. That's why i was wondering: do i
> just have something horribly misconfigured?

>From what David had to say about the FDO specs, you're not doing
anything wrong. The system is.

Do the designers and others working on e have access to formal usability
testing which could provide hard measurements?

///Peter