Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) ha scritto il 21/08/2016 alle 01:42:
On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 19:04:44 +0200 Massimo Maiurana <maiur...@gmail.com> said:

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) ha scritto il 20/08/2016 alle 14:17:
On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 09:41:00 +0200 Massimo Maiurana <maiur...@gmail.com>
said:

There is an annoying issue that I found in rage from some months ago but
I've always forgot to report it here, sorry :(

There are cases where rage_thumb just go crazy, spawns several
processes, eats up the cpu and reamins active even if I close rage, so I
have to "killal -9 rage_thumb". Tipically it happens if I navigate the
movie clicking with the mouse in the progress bar, so in order to avoid
it I use to navigate via arrow keys.

well - it's generating thumbanils for the whole movie (every 10 seconds or
so it snapshots). it literally sits and loads the movie relying on the gst
generic evas loader to load a specific frame # from the video file. it
loads, scales down, and saves to a big eet archive with all the thumbs in
it for the video...

why is it spinning? some bakctrace, some trace/debug as to what it's
spinning on etc.... would be useful. :)

I would like to help but need also help on how to generate backtraces :)

gdb /usr/local/lib/rage/utils/rage_thumb `pidof rage_thumb`

bt

:)

also getting the file it is choking on would be nice. the file will be on the
cmdline passed to rage_thumb..

Ok, I did this: I opened a movie, clicked on some points in the progress bar to go forward and the cpu went 100% (both cores). At this point I had six instances of rage_thumb running. This is the command line:
rage /home/max/Video/Il.Volo.Del.Falco.2014.iTALiAN.BDRiP.XviD-HDi.avi

Then I closed rage but all rage_thumb processes still was alive and kicking... too kicking :) Htop reported small cpu usage for rage_thumb, every process was eating just around 1/1.5% of it. Top made me see that there were many evas_image_load processes that instead was eating much more cpu, 10% and occasionally 20% each process. I generated a backtrace from one of the rage_thumb processes, I don't know how it is useful but it is attached. In the meantime all processes quitted, so it is just a matter of time waiting they do their job, but the problem is that this jog is cpu and time consuming :)

Should I run gdb on evas_image_load and generate a backtrace?

If it would segvs i would do it via a "bt" command in gdb, but it
doesn't crash and also rage_thumb keeps running in multiple processes
when I stop rage, so how should I trace its activities?

^^^^^ you can attach to an existing process any time. when you attach the
process will be paused. you can grab a bt then. you can let it continue
running with "c" (continue) cmd any time. you can pause it again with ctrl+c in
gdb an get another backtrace. switch stack frame with "fr N" where N matches
the backtrace number. list the code where you are at with "l". list a specific
line number in that file in context with "l 1234". print a variable you see
with "p varname" dereference a pointer (like c/c++ does all the time) with "p
*varname" or if its a struct geta  member with "p varname->member". gdb will
even be able to tab complete these like a shell does with files. :)

learning gdb is a very powerful thing. you can find out so much useful info
about a process... :)

Thanks
Massimo