Massimo Maiurana ha scritto il 19/03/2017 alle 14:29:
> Mick ha scritto il 19/03/2017 alle 13:23:
>> On Sunday 19 Mar 2017 09:44:23 Massimo Maiurana wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I finally bought a brand new laptop :)
>>>
>>> Of course I installed E, building from source as I've always did but I
>>> have two problems to solve.
>>>
>>> The first is regarding acpi events: closing lid the laptop should
>>> suspend, and indeed it is what happens under gnome (there also lid open
>>> resumes it) but does not happen under E. Acpid is not installed so
>>> probably that's what I need, but I wonder why it works in gnome.
>>
>> I don't run gnome, but from a more generic perspective you will need to
>> install acpid and make sure it is running as a service when you boot up.
>> Closing the lid then generates an event captured by acpid which by default
>> will suspend to ram.  Check what you have at Settings > Settings Panel >
>> Input
>>> ACPI Bindings > Lid Closed.  I have set mine to 'Suspend Intelligently' and
>> it works as advertised.
>
> Hmh, well, i'm not sure acpid is required for this to work. I think
> acpid is for managing acpi events, not for exposing them, or lid close
> wouldn't work even under other environments. I'll try installing it and
> see if it solves the problem.

Before doing that I tried "listening" for events with "journalctl -f"
and this is what I see:
mar 19 14:39:07 diamante systemd-logind[498]: Lid closed.
mar 19 14:39:11 diamante systemd-logind[498]: Lid opened.

So the event is exposed by systemd-logind, and I guess that gnome relies
on that but wonder why E doesn't do the same.

>>> The second is about icons: Applications menu is full populated with all
>>> applications, including my own in ~/.local/share/applications, but only
>>> 3 of them have an icon associated (a custom of mine, gnome-font-viewer
>>> and the E filemanager). Also, much more annoying, evry doesn't list
>>> desktop applications in the list that appears when I start typing, only
>>> executables and directories are listed.
>>
>> Settings > Settings Panel > Menu Settings > Applications, should give you
>> some
>> options.  One of these ought to make all/most application icons to show up.
>> Also check Settings > Settings Panel > Menu Settings > Miscellaneous, does
>> not
>> have 'Disable icons in menus' selected.
>
> I DO have applications in menu, my problem is not that. What I miss is
> icons for applications, but for that three applications mentioned above
> that have an icon in their own menu entry. If "disable icons" was
> checked I wouldn't have any icon neither for those three ;)
>
> Also, as said, I don't have applications displayed in evry.
> E.g. on the other laptop if I type "ice" in evry I see the icedove icon
> and so I can launch that application; I also see the icedove binary but
> can distinguish between them because the application starts with a
> capital letter and also displays an icon. In this laptop if i type "ice"
> I see only the icedove executable, not the application.
>
> Other example: I have a custom application named "Bpiol", which executes
> a binary called "launcher_linux.bat". If I type "bp" I don't see the
> application, and because the executable doesn't have the same name I
> don't see nothing. But evry displays menu categories as dirs, so if I
> browse that dirs I can reach any application including "Bpiol".
>
>> To configure Everything, check your settings under Settings > Settings Panel
>> >
>> Launcher.
>>
>> HTH  :-)

Massimo Maiurana
Ragusa (RG)