On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 08:17:53 -0700 Marc MERLIN <marc_...@merlins.org> said:

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 10:48:19PM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > > I'm just about ready to downgrade back to 0.18.6, I can't have a WM that
> > > sucks so much CPU and battery.
> > >
> > > Any idea what could be causing this and how to get around it?
> >
> > could be many things. what else is waking up? didn't you just have drm vsync
> > issues? could possibly still be happening. here is what i see:
>
> Damn, that's low.
> More output from my (big) laptop:
> The battery reports a discharge rate of 24.4 W
> The estimated remaining time is 3 hours, 19 minutes

> 53.0% CPU use
>
> Power est.              Usage       Events/s    Category       Description
>   7.42 W    100.0%                      Device         Display backlight
>   5.50 W     25.8 ms/s     413.7        Process        /usr/bin/enlightenment
>   4.25 W      9.2 ms/s     307.0        Timer          tick_sched_timer
>   3.10 W     11.7 ms/s     224.0        Timer          hrtimer_wakeup
>   2.01 W     26.4 pkts/s                Device         Network interface:
> wlan0 (iwlwifi) 1.91 W    100.0%                      Device         USB
> device: usb-device-0765-5010
>
> But big laptop or not (4K screen, IGP), 413.7 is the most wakeups of anything
> on my system.
>
> Well, how about this:
> The very next morning, I changed absolutely nothing, and when coming
> back from sleep I'm now seeing:
>   1.22 W     13.8 ms/s     133.0        Process        /usr/bin/enlightenment
>   272 mW     11.4 ms/s      30.6        Process        /usr/bin/enlightenment
>   239 mW      6.1 ms/s      27.3        Process        /usr/bin/enlightenment
>
> Looks like whatever I hit, it fixed/gone for now.
>
> Or is it? While typing this Email bit, it went back up to:
>   2.15 W     27.4 ms/s     308.6        Process        /usr/bin/enlightenment
>   2.50 W     20.1 ms/s     346.2        Process        /usr/bin/enlightenment
>   2.49 W     36.7 ms/s     325.2        Process        /usr/bin/enlightenment
>
> What could be causing so much variance?
>
> Oh my, it seems that running xmms2 (0.8+dfsg-4) causes the music title
> to scroll, and that's enough to cause e21 to wake up a *lot*
> killall -STOP xmms fixed it it seems:
>   410 mW      9.2 ms/s      60.1        Process        /usr/bin/enlightenment
>   359 mW      7.3 ms/s      55.1        Process        /usr/bin/enlightenment

oh... thats why i mentioned apps updating/rendering. yes. a scolling title
means e will be getting damage events from the app and have to re-composite
parts of the screen... any compositing wm will have to do exactly the same
thing. compositing involves waking up the ap, xserver and wm. e will wake up
more than "once per frame" because as i mentioned it'll get the damage event,
realize it's not a vsync frame tick wakeup, go back to sleep and wait for the
next vsync tick, then when that happens kick off a frame render. so thats why
just number of wakeups isn't the best measure.

my numbers above had an idle screen. no blinking cursors or scrolling titles...

> > so basically it's fine. there is some polling of cpu freq and
> > temperature, some battery notifications.... but really its quick
> > wake and sleep as any render will invariably involve deferring the
> > rendering for the next vsync. stracing shows e asleep for most of a
> > second and eeze is forcing a poll every second on the temperature
> > sensor. i unload temperature module and e will stay asleep for 2-3
> > or 4 secs at a time then wakeup to a battery/power supply event and
> > go check battery status. ymmv based on your acpi dsdt and how often
> > battery acpi events happen, but the wakeups you see above are really
> > only like 1 or 2 per sec. i think it's counting a blocking syscall
> > like a read() of a /sysfs node or a write+read from pipe (vsync event
> > from vsync thread to mainloop), actually strace e with timestamps and
> > see. it may be counting selects that in the loop run "poll to see if
> > events came in while we were reading them" or the thread selects etc.
> > so take that number of wakeups with a grain of salt.
>
> Removing the battery widget did not help.

well removing it won't help. unloading the battery module might.

> > FYI i had my GPD pocket 7 (my mini 7" baytrail laptop) run for 22hrs
> > without suspending (screen on lowest brightness level, wifi connected)... e
> > of course running. when e is animating expect a lot of wakeups - at least
> > 2-3 maybe 4x the actual framerate due to the above (the wake it's
> > measured). another sample of battery life: galaxy book 12, 50% brightness
> > with e just idling:
>
> I'm very jaleous now :)
>
> > So... actually look into what is waking things up. fast polling times for
> > gadgets like temp, cpufreq etc. will use more power. temperature if using
> > udev (eeze) can wake up more often.
> >
> > if you have terminals with blinking cursors... that's not going to help
> > much... disable blinking. :)
>
> I have none of this.

you have a scrolling xmms title. apps updating their windows. that's going to
suck for battery life no matter how you slice or dice it and it's going to
force wakeups.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com