On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 20:49:55 +0000 Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> said:

> On 28/11/17 00:05, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 20:38:30 +0000 Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> said:
> [snip]
> >> Does anyone have suggestions. I can't find a page describing how to
> >> replace Moksha with E22.
> >
> > looks like it needs a newer efl install. apt-get -f install ? or remove efl,
> > enlightenment and anything that depends on these from bodhi and maybe
> > compile your own?
>
> Should I do all this from a Ctl-Alt-F1 console, rather than from the X
> session (which would be Moksha) where you presumably can't remove a
> package while it's in use (or can you?).

you can. linux != windows. you are allowed to pull the rug from under yourself
(delete files that are in use). BUT this may have consequences. E will survive
a short while like this until it needs data from data files (e.g. theme) and
when it needs new data and checks... it won't find the files there and things
will begin to go south. So you have a window of opportunity. remove, replace
(fast) then restart e (ctl+alt+end keybinding for fastest way)...

fyi i am replacing all of my efl and e install all the time (many times a day)
and installing on top whenever i "make install" (ninja install). this stuff
works. but see above. i rarely delete it all as i only need overwrite it.

> On 28/11/17 00:40, Dave wrote:
> [...]
> > I'm not too experienced with Ubuntu PPA sources, but I had a look at
> > that link, and it seems like the PPA source has that version of
> > libefl available. Not sure why it wasn't installed automatically.
>
> I grabbed the screen log of the session so when I get back to the
> machine I'll have a look. I suspect it be a conflict: Moksha requiring
> one version of efl and the new e requiring a different one, and Bodhi
> refusing to run both.

as i suggested. remove efl entirely and everything that depends on it... then
start again with something newer. you could self-compile efl+e+terminology+...
in parallel and install in /usr/local (the default) first... THEN remove the
system efl/e pkgs as now you have a parallel install in a different place.
that's an option, but of course more complex as you need to start compiling
things yourself.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com