I'm not 100% sure how this works, but you should check that your .desktop
file has an entry for 'StartupWMClass'. Run your app, then run ( from a
terminal ) 'xprop'. Click the app. Your xprop app should report some stuff,
including WM_CLASS. Copy one of the quoted strings into your .desktop file.
I *think* that should make it work. But again, I'm not sure.

Dan