I took my older thinkpad, with a somewhat older E and older debian and
sysvinit 9no systemd), and I made it a desktop machine.
i installed the nvidia driver on it, because I don't care about battery
use anymore.

I have the screen setup as secondary (4K panel, 4K screen).
When the screen turns off, E takes all the windows and puts them on the
first screen, which is understandable.
When the screen turns back on, it doesn't move the windows back, so I
have to move them all one by one every time.

Does newer E deal with this better and auto save/restore positions on
secondary screens with the nvidia driver? (I noticed that the driver
does not cause E to popup its secondary screen setup which does pop up
if I use the i915 driver, so E may not deal with those screen
add/removes the same way)

Seperately, is there some window grouping option where I can group a set
of windows and drag them all back to the other screen, as a single
window?

Or anything else that might help?

Thanks,
Marc